I know what some of you are thinking: why?
Because. I’ve criticized the prequels once before. As they say, ‘it’s easy to criticize, think you can do better?’ Yes, I think I can.
I’ve also been watching the original trilogy lately, and they were just so damn good – they deserved much better. Plus I was inspired by Mr Plinkett’s very excellent critiques, even though he still missed some things…
Some will notice that the script isn’t quite up to 60 pages (around a full hour movie time). I hyperlinked a lot of things to save space on description, and to show that I’m a fair chap, I wanted to leave some room for George Lucas to do his scenery and action porn.
Some notes on my method:
- The original three were most important first and foremost. Nothing was put in that would contradict or open up plot holes from those original 3.
- Almost as important: showing more things than telling the audience about them.
- After that, the existing prequels were used as a template. ex: Anakin still grows up and is found on Tatooine.
- I tried not to violate too much of the EU canon (I especially love the original Clone Wars cartoons) and wrote with the goal such that the least amount would have to be thrown out or changed – except when this conflicted with the first point.
- I do love some of the prequel actors (Natalie Portman & Ewan McGregor can be especially skilled) and so wrote the parts not only with them in mind, but with plenty of room for the actors to flex their chops and add character and depth to the roles.
All in all, I hope this effort soothes your memories of the original tragedy as it did for me while writing it.
(much thanks to Asahel and Jaina for helping me edit this)
UPDATE: I neglected to mention that Confused Matthew‘s reviews also inspired me in writing this. Much thanks to him as well as Plinkett.